Varicose veins are twisted and enlarged veins near the surface of the skin, usually on the leg and ankle. They usually look swollen and are raised above the surface of the skin. While varicose veins is not a serious problem, however they can lead to other problems in future.
Spider veins are like varicose veins, but smaller. They are blue or red, and is often closer to the surface of the skin, and look like spider webs with short jagged lines. Spider veins can be found on the leg and also the face, and it can also affect large areas of the skin.
Both these vein problems can severely affect one’s self confidence and can also cause discomfort and pain. For both the problems of varicose veins Singapore and spider veins Singapore, they can be resolved with the treatment of some cosmetic surgery procedures.
What causes the vein problems
What causes varicose veins
Varicose veins are usually caused by weak and damaged valves in the veins. Veins carry blood all around the body, and they have valves to prevent the blood from flowing backwards. The leg muscles pump the blood against gravity toward the heart, and when the veins become varicose, the valves in the veins stop working and this allows blood to flow backwards enlarging the veins. Besides being a hereditary problem, some of the additional risk factors include standing up for long periods of time and being overweight or pregnant.
What causes spider veins
Spider veins are caused by the backup of blood, as well as too much exposure to the sun, hormonal changes and also due to injuries. This is also a hereditary problem, and additional risk factors include a sedentary lifestyle, being overweight, pregnancy or standing for prolonged periods of time.
Factors that increase risk of these vein problems
- With age comes the increased risk as the valves in the veins may weaken.
- Hereditary problem that runs in the family.
- Hormonal changes especially during puberty, pregnancy and menopause.
- Pregnancy due to the increase in the blood in the body that can cause veins to enlarge.
- Being overweight can put increased pressure on one’s veins.
- Standing for long periods of time may force the veins to work harder to continue pumping blood.
- Too much sun exposure can cause spider veins.
Home treatments for varicose veins and spider veins
- Wear compression stockings to decrease swelling
- Elevate leg
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid standing for long periods of time
- Lose weight if one is overweight
- Care for any open or sore wounds
Varicose veins treatment & spider veins treatment options
- Endovenous Laser Treatment – Using a minimally invasive laser treatment to treat the veins.
- Sclerotherapy – Chemical solution or salt water is injected into the vein hardening it and making it disappear.
- Radiofrequency Ablation – Heat is used to kill of the vein over time.
- Vein Stripping – Small surgical cuts are made in the leg and the vein is removed via one of these cuts.
- Valve repair – Damaged valve is repaired via incisions into the valve.
- Bypass – This surgery option is to reroute blood flow around the damaged vein.
- Angioplasty – Tiny medical device used to widen the blocked vein to improve blood flow.