Lateral canthoplasty is known as the process which elongates the lateral or outer (toward the ears) aspect of the eyes. This is a very suitable operation for eyes that need horizontal enlargement to create bigger and brighter looking eyes.
This procedure is performed at the outer corner of the eye where the upper and lower eyelid join together known as the lateral canthus. The tendon that holds the joined eyelids to the bone at this point is called the lateral canthal tendon, hence the name “canthoplasty.”
Looking for a Singapore Cosmetic Doctor? Find a Lateral Canthoplasty Singapore Doctor.
This procedure can be carried out with double eyelid surgery and/or epicanthoplasty.
Will there be scarring?
As this is a surgical procedure, there will be scars. However, the surgical scars from lateral canthoplasty will usually be hidden along the margin of the upper and lower eyelid above and below the outer corner of the eye.
How long will this procedure take?
Lateral canthoplasty usually takes 30 mins and is done under local anesthesia. Stitches will usually be removed after a week, and one will be able to resume normal daily activities thereafter.
Who needs lateral canthoplasty?
- Length of eyes is short.
- Do not experience change in eyes after double eyelid surgery or epicanthoplasty.
- Possess short distance between eyes and unable to have epicanthoplasty.
- Have fierce, cat-like eyes and want to soften image.
- Have little exposure of the whites of the eyes, making one appear cross-eyed.
- If corner of eyes are pointing inwards.
How should you care for your eyes after lateral canthoplasty?
As with any surgery, after care is extremely important, more so when the procedure is on the face which is the most prominent part of the body. Here are some tips on how to care for one’s eyes after lateral canthoplasty.
- If the Doctor advises patient to use icepack, use it religiously to reduce swelling.
- Avoid smoking and drinking for at least 2 – 3 weeks.
- Should not wear contact lenses for at least 2 weeks.
- Do not use fake eye lashes until a month after surgery.
- Avoid swimming, sauna and water for at least 2 – 3 weeks.
How can I find a Plastic Surgeon for Lateral Canthoplasty in Singapore?
You can find a doctor in Singapore that performs lateral canthoplasty.
For other procedures, you can find a cosmetic doctor.